National Research Centre "Kurchatov Institute"
PETERSBURG NUCLEAR PHYSICS INSTITUTE
The Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute (PNPI) is one of four nuclear physics centers within the National Research Center "Kurchatov Institute" (NRC "Kurchatov Institute").
PNPI bears the name of Academician B.P. Konstantinov (1910–1969) – an outstanding Soviet physicist, Director of the Ioffe Physical Technical Institute of the USSR Academy of Sciences, vice president of the Academy of Sciences, who played a significant role in organization and development of the institute.
There are 1986 employees in the institute including 500 scientific workers, 80 doctors and 260 candidates of science. Scientific achievements of the PNPI scientists have been awarded the Lenin and State prizes, State prizes of the Russian Federation and Academic prizes. Three scientists were elected Members of the Russian Academy of Sciences and seven scientists were elected Corresponding Members of RAS.
St. Petersburg State University
Founded in 1724, St. Petersburg State University is the oldest institution of higher education in Russia. At present, there are more than 32,000 students in University, receiving education in more than 323 specialties in 20 faculties.
University's staff comprises almost 14,000 people, including nearly 6,000 teachers (1,000 Doctors of Science, over 2,000 Candidates of Science, 42 Academicians of state academies) who represent 289 academic departments.
In November 2009, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev signed a law granting St. Petersburg State University the special status of "a unique scientific and education complex, an oldest institution of higher education in Russia being of a great importance to the development of the Russian society".
A.V. Shubnikov Institute of Crystallography of the RAS (IC RAS)
The history of the institute began in 1925 as the Organization of the Laboratory of Crystallography at the Mineralogical Museum of the USSR Academy of Sciences (Leningrad). After several changes of division, location and name, it became its own entity with the USSR Academy of Sciences in 1943 with Alexei Vasil'evich Shubnikov as the first director. In 1971, the institute was officially named after Shubnikov, who was twice awarded the honorary title Hero of the Socialist Labor.